Monday, May 16, 2011

Indianapolis Blogger: The Lazy Christian



I don’t like reading a lot of Christian self-help stuff. They make me feel really, really bad. Yes, I’m a lousy Christian. Yes, I know I should do better. Yes, Jesus is coming so I’d better get a move on.

Not. Helpful.

Some blogs make you think, “Wow! So I need to move to a foreign country and spread the Gospel!” Or, “I’m giving myself two weeks to read the Bible cover to cover!” Maybe you should. Maybe you’re the type of person who would benefit from that advice. If so, then there it was. Do those things. Tell God I gave you the hint you needed. He’ll be glad I did something.

However, many people aren’t called to go to a foreign country, and, personally, my head would explode if I attempted to read the Bible in two weeks. Give me two years, maybe. I need a plan, but it needs to be manageable. Something I can handle and stick with. Something that will help me grow in my faith to the point where I don’t need a schedule or a plan anymore—I just do the Christiany things that I’m supposed to be doing.

First, I need to make a confession:

I am lazy.

There. I said it. I admit it. And I’m not talking just laziness in my faith. No, I’m all kinds of lazy. I’m sure we all have days like that, but for me, it’s a lifestyle. In fact, it’s amazing this article is even written. I want to play video games on the computer or watch movies instead of doing awful things like chores. I am the greatest dawdler who ever lived. I’ve found ways to waste time that others only dream of. I am seriously lazy.

I don’t particularly want to be classified as such. Part of me is even embarrassed to put it in writing. I want to be a go-getter! I want ambition! I’d even take the busy life of a soccer mom over being lazy. The trouble is that I don't know how to get out of this rut or even where to start.

The same happens with my faith. I want to be a prayer warrior. I want to be all fiery for God! I want to quote Scripture and know where stuff is in the Bible! I’ve even thought, “Hey, I could go to seminary or get a master’s in something religious, and then I’ll know everything and be done!”

Apparently, it doesn’t work that way. Faith is about having a relationship with God. While being able to find certain Scriptures is helpful, they’re only helpful if you’ve got God’s guidance on how to apply them to your life. There’s not really a short cut.

That being said, I really need to change what I’m doing. Now, I’m no theologian. I’m not someone who’s got it all together all the time, but we all need a starting place, right? My husband likes to quote James 4:8, which says that God will draw near to those who draw near to him. I need to make an effort. I need to show God that we’re ready to make a change and that we want a better relationship with him. That’s when we’ll start to feel a change in our hearts and our minds. That’s when the laziness will be replaced by a fire for God.

I don’t want my blog to just spout advice. Sometimes I feel like people tell me what I should do when they’ve never felt the way I have or have never struggled with the issues I do. Not so here. As the title would indicate, I’m lazy, and if I talk about something you should try, that means I’ve tried it. It’s given me a starting place for putting my faith on the right track. Should I get off track at any point—and chances are I will—I always have a method for beginning again.

I really hope you find this helpful. I have. And I hope this helps you find new ways to ditch your laziness and be an active Christ follower. Because he wants to spend time with us, you know. Even though we’re lazy.


*************
Rachel A. Snyder
The Lazy Christian

1 comment:

Kerri said...

Boy, can I relate to this! Thank you for sharing and being transparent in a world of "feel-good, everything's perfect, blogs"! Yes, a relationship with Christ takes much effort. Well worth it, though. Thank you. :)